The Moor - Opeth Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Gigantour

Reply to topic    The Moor - Opeth Forum Index » General Forum View previous topic
View next topic
Gigantour
Karlitos

Post Gigantour Reply with quote
It looks like an awesome show. I'm not as familiar with some of the other bands, mostly just Opeth and Megadeth. But I've heard very good things about Lamb of God and Arch Enemy and am gonna get started on listening to more of their stuff. The tour is coming to San Diego, so I'm really happy about that.

What do you guys think about the tour? How far are you gonna have to go to see it?

On another topic, I like that there's only one topic to post stuff in. The old forum had way too many topics. However, I do prefer the black and red theme from the other forum. Still, its not that big a deal.
Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
Larrik
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It does look like an awesome show. I've never listened to any of the other bands (besides MegaDeth, which is my second favorite band next to Opeth), but I've noticed Lamb of God opens for a lot of Opeth's festival dates.

They go from Canada to Long Island, skipping over me completely. I'm hoping they backtrack a bit and hit New England as the secret Sept. 29th date, but I don't have my hopes up.

As for the red and black, that WAS cool, but it was a huge project, and I could never get it to look right on phpBB (which is what we are on now), while I got it to look halfway decent on Invision (which was the old one). Unfortunately, my Invision got hacked, and I'd have to pay for the newest version, so screw that. I'll hunt around for a better color scheme on the web.
Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:50 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Larrik
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Ah, I found one. It's maybe not as good as my own, but it's here.
Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:03 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Karlitos

Post Reply with quote
Nice! I like this scheme. Sorry to hear about the tour not coming to your neighborhood. You're in Connecticut right?

On a side note, I just got a job today. I graduated in mid June and have been looking for something since then, so I'm definitely happy about this.
Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Larrik
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Faster than me! I graduated in mid May of last year, and didn't walk into a job until October!

Yeah, Connecticut... Seriously, CT and Massachusetts are probably the most metal-heavy area of the country, what gives?
Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:52 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Karlitos

Post Reply with quote
Larrik wrote:
Yeah, Connecticut... Seriously, CT and Massachusetts are probably the most metal-heavy area of the country, what gives?

I had no idea that CT and Mass were so big on metal. I know Florida was huge in the late 80's-early 90's with the rise of death metal (Morbid Angel, Death, and Cannibal Corpse leading the way). I don't know how big it is now. I do know that the metal scene in southern california sucks. There are a good number of fans, but I don't see nor have I heard of any good bands around here. My nephew has been interested in the idea of starting his own band and has made some very minor steps towards realizing that, but I think he's more interested in martial arts at this point than he is in metal. I know Metallica supposedly got their break in San Francisco, but I have no idea about the metal scene there. I seem to be hearing about bands like Agalloch coming out of Oregon. It seems like a folksy type metal scene there, but I really don't know much.
Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Larrik
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Well, the metal champion of Connecticut is Hatebreed, who are from my area of CT as well (not that CT is terribly large). Then there's bands like Killswitch.Engage, Shadows Fall, 100 Demons, Unearth, Blood Has Been Shed, Godsmack, Staind (who was pretty metal back in the day), All That Remains, etc. (I stopped looking) Some people who claim to be from New York or Boston are actually from CT, but claim to be from the big cities for simplicity (like WWE claims to be from New York in shorthand, but are from CT).

The New England Metal and Hardcore Festival is pretty big, too (Opeth has played there more than once). A list of bands can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Metal_and_Hardcore_Festival

Also, this article talks about it: http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/music/other_stories/documents/03281718.asp
But I'm not sure when the date of it is.

We have a pretty raging underground scene, as well. And the Webster Theater in Hartford (where Gulgotha has played a few times) always has local bands opening for big acts.

It's pretty much all hardcore, though.
Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:15 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Karlitos

Post Reply with quote
So the concert in San Diego was this past Saturday. Great show. I only got to see three of the bands, but they were the main ones (Opeth, Lamb of God, and Megadeth, in that order). Opeth had a short set, playing only three songs (Ghost of Perdition, Windowpane, and Leper Affinity). Mike didn't really say much as he didn't have much time. He said that they'd played too much the previous two nights and were gonna keep it short. I wasn't really that disappointed though, since I've already seen them play an extended set twice, and Lamb of God and Megadeth were really good. Megadeth really kicked ass. I loved that they played like 4 songs off Rust In Peace, with Holy Wars serving as the encore. They mixed it up good though, playing some of the stuff off The System Has Failed, Trust, and some of their really old stuff. They also played a song ("Washington's Next") off the album they're working on right now. I laughed out loud when Dave announced the name of the song. Awesome.
Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Moor - Opeth Forum Index » General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: